I asked in a former post, whether Smith county needed a new jail, or a fence around the county. I thought it might be time to revisit the idea. Since Smith county incarcerates it’s citizens at a rate 51% higher than the state average, and since we live in a state that incarcerates 44% more of it’s citizens than the national average, which is higher than any totalitarian regime in power today, we are obviously the scum of the earth, and should all be locked away! Add the probation figures, and delete the overlaps, and the figures are frightening! Something must be done about, well, about us! We need to be kept from mingling with the population of the civilized world, lest we infect them with our peculiar criminality!
“We are not all criminals!” The statistics seem to tell a different tale! It would seem, that if you have not been incarcerated, or put on probation, you must have been missed, but don’t worry, this over site will soon be corrected! They just haven’t gotten around to you yet. They are trying to build a new jail facility just for locking you away!
- We either have more criminals, or
- The Sheriff’s department is better than average at catching and incarcerating criminals, or
- Something is wrong.
Let me make the extension for you. Something is definitely wrong!
In any case, we don’t need a new jail.
- If something is wrong, it should be corrected.
- If the constabulary is that efficient, all crime will soon cease.
- If we are really that bad, we don’t need a jail, we need a fence!