After 4 recent failed jail proposal in 3 years, we thought it might be good to offer some advice on how to do it.
Things that have to be done before we will vote yes:
- Stop arresting people for “ticketable” offenses.
- Take full advantage of the effective measures already being used in Smith county.
- Develop more “out of the cell” ideas, and fund them.
- Get more courts to speed up the process.
- Get more space for judicial use.
How the plan should be developed:
- Only after the above steps are taken should this even be attempted.
- It should be developed openly and transparently.
- It should be developed with input from all concerned parties, not just officials.
- All fear mongering should be left out.
More on this topic later.