The questions that started it all
Short and sweet, these are the 2 questions that set Trump on the road to running away from a debate to play in a sandbox of his own making during last night’s Republican debate:
1. “Mr. Trump, one of the things people love about you is you speak your mind and you don’t use a politician’s filter. However, that is not without its downsides, in particular, when it comes to women. You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs’ and ‘disgusting animals.’
Your Twitter account has several disparaging comments about women’s looks. You once told a contestant on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees.
Does that sound to you like the temperament of a man we should elect as president, and how will you answer the charge from Hillary Clinton, who was likely to be the Democratic nominee, that you are part of the war on women?
2. “Mr. Trump, in 1999, you said you were, quote, ‘very pro-choice.’ Even supporting partial-birth abortion. You favored an assault weapons ban as well. In 2004, you said in most cases you identified as a Democrat. Even in this campaign, your critics say you often sound more like a Democrat than a Republican, calling several of your opponents on the stage things like ‘clowns’ and ‘puppets.’ When did you actually become a Republican?”
Why Trump ran away
- He never adequately answered either of those hard questions and did not want to face them or worse this time!
- He was also running from Ted Cruz who is one of the most tenacious debaters in the modern world. Being at odds with Mr. Cruz, and not being able to think on one’s feet would have been a disaster for the Donald.
- He was also running from Rand Paul, who humiliated Trump a number of times in the last debate in which both were present. I offer as proof the “Nuclear Triad” fiasco, and the “No Donald, we can’t kill women and children” moment.
How he ran away
Trump and the Trumpetts sites and sources will tell you that he avoided the debate on principal. There was no principle on which to stand. All moderators are somewhat biased, Ms. Kelly was no better or worse than average on that count. All he had to do was answer the questions, but he knew he would be in a trap between who he is and what he says he is.
He retreated into silly name calling and outrageous accusation till he had made a complete fool of himself. Then, he ran from the fight! That would have been bad enough, but when FOX engaged in a little playful banter :
“We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president. A nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings.”
He demanded Megan Kelly be removed from the debate, FOX said that they would not compromise their journalistic integrity for him.
He then demanded 5 million dollars, there were 3 contacts in all, and all initiated by Trump.
Fox called his bluff on all counts and he was on his own!
The result of running away
The Donald Started his own event a few blocks from the debate, and talked CNN and C SPAN into covering it at the same time the debate was on the air.
Results for the debate
The result for the debaters was wonderful, an intelligent conversation ensued, and sanity broke out from time to time.
- A substantive debate with real words of more than 2 syllables occurred and the public benefitted.
- There was a 1.2 million increase in viewership over the last time when Trump was present.
The results for Trump
- After the numbers rolled in, it was learned that Trump had lost 6 points in national polls.
- There were serious questions from Veterans organizations about where the money from his fundraiser was going.
- Some Veterans organizations refused money from the Trump event because they felt he was using Veterans as political pawns.
- In spite of what he thought would be punitive for FOX, FOX came out on top in all measurable ways.
Even with all the evidence against him, Trump declared victory! Well, that’s our Donald!